Now that I live in the stix, I wait for films that I NEED to see. And I wait. Longer. Longer than that, even. My eyes have been on Capote since October, and I have been rather obsessed with witnessing Philip Seymour Hoffman’s performance. Two weeks ago, it happened. And the man transfixed me and transformed me while he morphed into Truman Capote. I have been saying it for years, and I will say it again…Philip Seymour Hoffman is the absolute best working actor today.
Please allow me to highlight my favorite P.S.H. transformations, in no particular order.
-Brian Mahoney, in the dark and incredible depiction of a gambler’s fall from grace in Owning Mahoney.
– Spike Lee’s 25th Hour…that song in the club towards the end is hittin’ hard, too
– Love Liza – just see it. Huffing. And model planes. Scarring. Mentally. Awesome.
– Punch Drunk Love. Something about this film…
– Lester Bangs. Come on. He ROCKS Almost Famous. What a great film.
– Mamet’s State and Main. Superb.
– Talented Mr. Ripley, Boogie Nights, Magnolia, as Phil Parma, the house nurse with depth, FLAWLESS, The Big Lebowski…and on, and on, and on.
I haven’t seen all of his roles, but the sprinkle of some of the most enjoyable and hand crafted films over the past decade above will be worth revisiting. In fact, I am going to add all of these to my Netflix account now, in celebration of Hoffman’s upcoming Oscar win.
Absolutely agree. He is one of the best. I can’t wait to see Capote. LOVE In Cold Blood and also LOVE Catherine Keener.
You turned me on to In Cold Blood and I read it when we all lived in the Wayne Manor. Ahhh. Those unforgettable Chi-town days.
Katherine Keener is fantastic, also. The film was good, for sure, but not nearly as good as his performance.
I’ve been waiting for you to write something about him since he was nominated! I just read this interview yesterday: http://www.slate.com/id/2135151/?nav=mpp
I’m adding Love Liza to our queue, and will certainly see Capote either on the big screen or DVD.
39 facts about him:
Mark Buban says
Haven’t seen the latest but think he is very talented. Check out “Montana” with Kyra Sedgwick and Stanley Tucci…it’s interesting.
gary strong says
And he sure looks like someone we know and love!